COVID-19 Safety Measures at CompostNow
1 year, 1 month ago
Updated: June 23, 2020
We know that this uncertain time caused by COVID-19 is difficult for us all. To ensure transparency, we wanted to update you on the steps we are taking to keep our members, our team, and our communities safe. We’ve also included precautions you can take to help us in this effort; keeping each other safe requires us all to work together and support each other.
Steps we were already taking to keep our members and team healthy:
- We continue to thoroughly clean all compost bins and lids with soap and water. This has been our standard operating procedure for our clean bins every time. The average time before a bin goes to a new member is 3+ days.
- Our offices, vehicles, and warehouses have hand sanitizer, reusable gloves, and disposable gloves.
- All of our employees are required to clean their hands before and after entry into our facilities.
Additional steps we have taken since COVID-19 began to keep our members and drivers healthy:
- We now require our drivers to wear gloves while servicing your bin(s).
- We have provided face coverings for our drivers to wear. CompostNow employees MUST wear face coverings while in settings that can lead to increased person-to-person transfer such as:
- Onsite washing duties with others
- Helping unload vehicles with other team members
- In-person meetings/gatherings of team members such as drivers arriving in the morning or onsite team members on breaks and lunch
- When servicing apartments, offices, or other locations Members request it be worn
- Where required to by local ordinances
- Due to additional concerns such as heat stroke and exhaustion from increasingly warmer weather, team members will not be required to wear face coverings when outdoors and not in the presence of other people.
- We sanitize all of the surfaces touched inside and outside the vehicles after routes are complete each day.
- We’re following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), federal agencies, and other global health organizations to collect the most up-to-the-minute information to ensure the actions we're taking are comprehensive and expedient.
Steps you can take to protect yourself and your faithful Soil Slingers:
- Just as you should wipe down public and shared surfaces with disinfectant, we ask that you wipe down your compost bin(s), if able, before you set your bin(s) out on collection day.
- If you are experiencing symptoms related to COVID-19, please consider setting skips via your Member Dashboard until you are feeling better.
- Please put all of your compostables in your bin(s) with the lid secured. We will not accept extra compostables (other than empty pizza boxes - no crusts) that are not in a CompostNow bin. If you want to add additional bins to your service plan, you can do so via your Member Dashboard.
- We need your help to practice social distancing. If you see our driver servicing your bin(s), please stay at least 6ft away from them. Do not hand them your bin(s). We love you but must love you from afar right now.
- If you live in an apartment or building where our driver must use shared items or spaces such as call boxes and elevators, explore with your property manager an alternate location for us to service your bin(s) that requires less surfaces to be touched.
Steps we are taking behind the scenes to protect our team:
- All corporate employees are working from home.
- All team members still reporting to work must check off that they are symptom-free and document their temperature.
- We have limited occupancy for all our vehicles, facilities, and specific rooms to ensure social distancing is followed.
- The first person using a door, that is to be used by others afterward, props open the door so others do not need to touch it.
- We have reduced the number of team members washing bins at any given time by splitting into distinct, non-overlapping shifts with the same team members every day.
- We've implemented new bin washing procedures that allow more distance between team members while washing bins.
- Team members washing bins are required to wear a face shield (previously only required to wear safety glasses).
- All team members working with other team members must wear face masks.
- All team members are required to sanitize their personal protective equipment daily.
- We sanitize all frequently touched surfaces and equipment between shifts.
- Only one person at a time is allowed to unload and load each vehicle.
- While unloading bins from vehicles, only handles are grabbed.
To learn more about COVID-19 and other precautions you can take, please refer to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.
We appreciate your support and action during this time. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions; we are here to support you as best as we can!